Saturday, April 10, 2010

Missed Me?

Campaign Code: Arrgggghhh.

Ok, no lies. No more cute stuff. I missed Friday. Yup. Real life got in the way. Two weeks after the rest of the family got strep throat, I caught it. So I spent most of Thursday and Friday lying on the couch with a fever and chills. Not to mention the horrible sore throat. That's life, you think you dodged the bullet, and it turns out to be a boomerang that smacks you in the back of the head. I hate being sick, probably because it doesn't happen too often that sick makes me miss out on life. So I'm still not 100%, but I'm much better. Thanks to people who discovered antibiotics. Though another big part of it is I got the new Pokemon. Stupid addictive games. Hell with it. I'm ditching the creative work right now. Just going to rant for a hot minute.

I like adventures. I LOVE adventures. Now, there seems to be two distinct things with them. Homebrew or published. Maybe its me, but there seems to be a certain stigma for the published ones. However, the older I get the more I like them. They do all the hard work for me. Treasure, monster stats, etc. All in one easy to use package. Nothing wrong with them at all. Especially for the stuff I find distasteful. Like traps and puzzles. I'm rubbish at them, so I tend to leave them out. Especially traps, since I've YET to find a reason that anyone would put a potentially deadly trap anywhere that they would pass on the way from the bedroom to the outhouse at night.

Yeah. Especially the old ones. The old classics. Temple of Elemental Evil, Castle Ravenloft, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, Keep on the Border Lands, White Plume Mountain. Notice how they are all 1st ed, and keep getting updated? The thing with published adventures though is that they are the cultural heritage of D&D players. We can't share the same adventures when it is the homebrew type. Most DMs pride themselves on making up adventures. But I think it every DM's responsibility to put their PCs through one or more of the classics. It binds us together. A stronger community. I wish that I had realized that earlier. Cause I left a lot of PCs without the terror that is Ravenloft, and I'm not talking settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment